HISTORY OF AUTOMATED PARKING
THE FIRST GENERATION OF AUTOMATED PARKING BEGAN IN 1920’S USA
In the 1920s, forerunners of automated parking or parking lifts systems appeared in the U.S. cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and Cincinnati. Some of these multistory structures are still standing, and have been adapted for new uses. One of the Kent Automatic Parking Garages in New York now known as the Sofia Apartments is an Art Deco landmark that was converted into luxury condominiums in 1983. A system that is now found all over Japan—the “Ferris-‐wheel", or paternoster system—was created by the Westinghouse Corporation 1923 and subsequently built-in 1932 on Chicago’s Monroe Street. The Nash Motor Company created the first glass-enclosed version of this system for the Chicago Century of Progress Exhibition in 1933, and it was the precursor to a more recent version, the Smart Car Towers in Europe.